Living a simple and laid-back life in the city!




Monday, March 22, 2010

A different ruffled pillow...

I'm really feeling like a "Queen of the pillows" today! And I think I'll be doing this even more for a while, since I got 7 crochet ones by mail to sew it! To be honest, I love them a lot! Sewing is very relaxing for me, specially if I'm not joining the family for a movie, like happened last Saturday night here. To still be around them and enjoy their company (where I can even ask them a opinion during the sewing), I brought my sewing machine to the Craft table "quite" close to the kids and hubby and started my new pillow.
I just cut strips without measuring (I like things uneven sometimes). These ones are around 7cm wide. They don't need to be exactly the same size, but at least similar. The length, usually I do 2 1/2 times over the width of the pillow. So, if the pillow is 40cm wide, I'll cut the length around 100cm. But again, this is an estimate.
Then you just need to sew each strip of fabric, pull the tread to get the same size of the width of the pillow, sew again on top  of the thread you already pull to attach each strip to the fabric and Pronto! The ruffle effect is created! Simple like that, really! This one I sew on top instead of the middle of the strip. I hope I'm making myself clear in this process...
This pillow it's so similar to a nice skirt I had when I was a child...And on a shower curtain I think will look really nice too, don't you think?
Ladies, feel free to ask me any question! I'll be happy to help you! The pillow is done and ready to be on a comfy bed or even by itself on a chair. It's always a pleasure to have something new to enjoy! Specially made by us!

 

It doesn't take much time to do a project like this and the result is quite good, isn't it?
Ps: I already sewed one more row of ruffles on the shower curtain!!!! While the boys were having a nice lavender bath, I quickly taped the places that needed between the walls and the floor. Now I just need to paint the bathroom, Ladies! I'm almost there! Soon we'll have a new bathroom. Thanks again for the nice comments.
I hope you guys like it and I wish you all a wonderful beggining of the week!
Love, Li :-)

14 comments:

Anna said...

I was JUST looking at ruffled curtains like that on Urban Outfitters and thought to myself, "I bet that would look so great on a pillow." And it does. It is SO pretty and cute!

Julie Johnson said...

Beautiful job! I'm embarrassed to admit that I purchased two pillows last week at target. They are pleats, not ruffles..like yours better! Wish you were closer and could help me fix my bobbin issues! :)

Therezinha said...

Li mu sweet friend,
I dance with my heart and eyes looking at your beatiful creation!I feel so blessed to have you in my life sharing so much joy, fun and beauty! May spring keep bringing lots of inspiration for all of us! love and ligh, always, tete:)

Ange said...

Your pillows are so beautiful Li!!!! You explained how to make them very well and I am so impressed with your English language skills.
These are certainly on my "to do" list.
Angex

Seawashed said...

So pretty. I love ruffles. And your shower curtain too<3 I bet you could sew a skirt like I am wearing in my post today. Love the birdies too. I saw a lamp on sale at Anthro today. Oh how I wish I could buy it.

Ness Lockyer said...

It looks great. I love sewing these sorts of pillows, especially when it is for your own home.
Lovely.
ness xx

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said...

2010 is DEFINITELY the year of the ruffle. I would LOVE to try and make a ruffle pillow. Yours are so enticing..and so beautiful. I would love to sew one this weekend, but I have to make sure my mom is there...just in case. I know...I am a wimp..but isn't that what moms are for?

GREAT pillow.

Cheers~
e

angela walker jewelry said...

Li, You are amazing! I wish my bed looked so good :)
Can't wait to see the bathroom!
Health and happiness,
Angela
http://angelawalkerjewelry.blogspot.com/

Deb said...

Hi Li, your pillows are beautiful, I just love them! I'm a bit of a pillow collector myself...a few in every room. No ruffled ones yet, I think it's time to go shopping! Deb

Tina said...

Another absolutely gorgeous pillow Li! All of your pillows are so lovely and how special that you have made them yourself - I love that!! Thanks for sharing how you make them too, you are so generous. Wishing you a wonderful week Li ~ Tina xx

Stina said...

I love that pillow.:-) Hug Stina

Seawashed said...

hi Li~

I mentioned you on my blog this morning with a little linky back to you<3 ox~ Fairmaiden

beachhouse etc. said...

hi just saw your blog love the ruffled pillow i am a pillowholic..anyhow did you create the rufffle on the sewing machine or did you do the oldfashioned way where you take a needle and thread and pull the thread through... wasn't sure...i need to dust off my sewing machine and skills..looks great you have patience girl take care suzanne

Smitten Design said...

that's like the shower curtain i adore from urban outfitters. great job.